Storytelling Reflection (Blog #4 Storytelling with Props)
Storytelling Reflection - It’s Fall Y’all

In planning for my storytelling experience, I decided to select a story with a seasonal tie-in. The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin written by Joe Troiano and illustrated by Susan Banta is well received by children. The easy rhyming pattern and colorful illustrations contribute to its enjoyability as a read-aloud. In our course readings, the addition of poems and fingerplays to enhance the storytelling experience has been mentioned several times and so I decided to start the session with a short poem that I remembered from my days teaching preschool, a version of Five Little Pumpkins.
My daughter helped me create an interactive prop with rotating pumpkins sitting on a fence made out of craft sticks. We planned jack o’lantern type expressions for the backside of the pumpkins that would be revealed as the pumpkins were turned one by one and reflect the tone of the pumpkins in the poem.
I practiced reading the poem and the picturebook several times working on my inflection and pacing. After setting up the camera, I realized that I would need to move the prop in order to show the picture book while I was reading. I decided that I would pause the video, reset the camera and edit the two sections into one video clip. In my opinion, this is one of my favorite videos that I’ve made so far.
This Week's Stories:
Bodie, I. (1994). Ghost tales for retelling. Sandlapper Publishing Co, Inc.
Schwartz, A. (2017). Scary stories to tell in the dark. Harper Collins. Schwartz, A. (2017). In a dark, dark room and other scary stories. Harper Collins.
Image credits: All images are the creation of the blog author with the exception of book covers which were sourced via Amazon.com
In planning for my storytelling experience, I decided to select a story with a seasonal tie-in. The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin written by Joe Troiano and illustrated by Susan Banta is well received by children. The easy rhyming pattern and colorful illustrations contribute to its enjoyability as a read-aloud. In our course readings, the addition of poems and fingerplays to enhance the storytelling experience has been mentioned several times and so I decided to start the session with a short poem that I remembered from my days teaching preschool, a version of Five Little Pumpkins.
Such a fun story you picked and the prop was so cute! Great idea to cut the videos together.
ReplyDelete